The internship program at WBIR-TV is designed to allow a student to augment their classroom experience through participation in various business and news activities and projects. Internships are usually available in the following areas – News, Sports, Weather, Production, Sales, Marketing, and Web/Social Media. Students will learn about the television industry from the business and technical sides in all areas.
Student Internship Requirements
- Starting in January 2015, WBIR interns will be paid minimum wage. The work hours are 15-20 hours per week. (Full-time internships may also be available upon special request)
- Students must be sponsored by and receive credit from an accredited college and be at least junior or senior level. (Special arrangements can be made for a student in a lower level if meeting other criteria and department approval.)
- Students must have prior written approval from a school professor or counselor who will serve as administrator of this individual's internship program.
- Internships last a minimum of three months.
- Students should be pursuing communications, journalism/speech, business degrees or other related coursework for the department of internship.
- Must have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Must be familiar with current news events.
- Must be available to work two eight hour shifts per week and be available to work on special projects as needed.
- Interns will be required to take a pre-employment drug screening and pass a background check.
How to Apply
All candidates should submit a cover letter, copy of your resume, work samples (can be on a website) and the completed application form (Click here)
Qualified applicants may be required to interview for the position and pass a test on current events.
Please send all applications to:
WBIR-TV Internship Program
1513 Bill Williams Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37917
Or submit electronically to: email@example.com
Fall Semester: July 1st
Spring Semester: November 1st
Summer Semester: May 1st
Because of the time it will take to conduct interviews and do pre-employment screening, all interns should be accepted and cleared for employment the semester before their internship will take place. Applications received after the deadline may not be considered.
Please do not submit applications more than one month prior to deadlines.
We do not have a volunteer program. Applicants must meet the above requirements for consideration.
We do not have a program for high school or college students to shadow our staff. Applicants must meet the above requirements for consideration.
Top | Home | Weather | Local | Nation Now | Traffic | Sports | Features | About | Photos-Video